Monday 21 June 2010

Eclipse

I recently went on a guided walk through culinary St James's, led by Joanna of Westminster Walking, which I'd definitely recommend. It's probably one of the parts of London I'm least familiar with, so there were a few unexpected gems - including this non-culinary one outside the Economist Building.



Eclipse is a sculpture by Angela Conner, its two discs of slate and marble moved solely by the weight of the water. There's something rather hypnotic about the combination of water, movement and texture.

2 comments:

Marmoset said...

Time and tide.... I remember having an idea, about 2 years too late, just before the Millennium. It was to use the hill in Greenwich Park to make water clocks (clepshydra, I think was the Greek name) as an school-based project, linking history, science and engineering as a way of marking the changing of the age. A sort of egg-race for the era....

I also remember reading about this project, time and tide again, on the Greenwich Phantom's block a good while ago...http://www.alunatime.org/

Marmoset said...

''block??'' Blog! Silly me.